Thursday, February 1, 2007

I hope reincarnation exists.

One of my favorite people has died. Molly Ivins, bullshit-caller extraordinaire, died yesterday at the age of 62. She had been fighting breast cancer since a 1999 diagnosis, but somehow I only heard about it a couple of days ago when her health took a turn for the worse. Had I known earlier, I would have made more of an attempt to appreciate her.

But appreciate her I did. She was fearless in taking on the Republican idiots. She was a powerful voice for human rights and goodness in general. Growing up in a small town as I did, Molly Ivins' voice was one of few I heard (or read, rather) that spoke to me. The Des Moines Register doesn't carry (or didn't when I was coming of age) many liberal columns, and I was so grateful to have her there to balance out Cal Thomas. I kind of couldn't believe she could get away with saying some of the things she said. It was wonderful and comforting, and she will be missed.

Here are some quotes of hers that I enjoy. Please pay your respects by enjoying them, too.


On getting attacked by Rush Limbaugh: "It is like being gummed by a newt. It doesn't actually hurt, but it leaves you feeling all slimy."

“It's hard to argue against cynics - they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side”

“It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America.”

“What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority.”

“In Texas, we do not hold high expectations for the [governor's] office; it's mostly been occupied by crooks, dorks and the comatose.”

“This is the man (Ronald Reagan) who proved that ignorance is no handicap to the presidency”

“I believe in practicing prudence at least once every two or three years.”

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention.”

“Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful.”

“The thing about democracy, beloveds, is that it is not neat, orderly, or quiet. It requires a certain relish for confusion.”


Rest peacefully for now, Molly. Hope to see you again soon!

No comments: