Monday, November 5, 2007

'Cause Phydeaux said I had to post something...

Greetings, dear readers. Sorry to have left you hanging for, as Phydeaux pointed out, over a fortnight. That is clearly unacceptable, and I apologize.

It's just that this job makes me fucking tired. Dealing with 200 freshmen and their decisions makes me tired. Steering a staff of 19- to 22-year-olds who mostly only care about themselves makes me tired. And dealing with 15 mostly-way-younger colleagues makes. me. tired. But I asked for it, and for the most part I enjoy it, so I should quit my bitching.

What I need is a vacation. And I'm gonna get one in a couple of weeks when all these yahoos go home for an entire week and are replaced by my parents, my sister, and my 2-year-old nephew. We'll be hopping a train into New York City and doing all the typical touristy things (Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Central Park, etc.), red buses and all.

For some reason, it makes me teary to think about me, a fat girl from Iowa, standing in Central Park. I grew up across the street from a cornfield that would fit into Central Park several times over, so the magnitude itself is overwhelming. But even more overwhelming than that is the fact that I grew up across the street from a cornfield. In Iowa. In a town of 979 people. And I'll be in New York Effing City, which always kind of represented "getting out" to me. When you grow up in the Midwest in a working class family, going someplace of the caliber (and distance) of New York City is often a dream but rarely a reality. Aside from my mother, I can't think of anyone else I know from my hometown who has been there. So, perhaps I'm just a country bumpkin, but this is kind of a big deal to me.

It will also be my first time on a train. Apparently I don't get out much.

But until that vacation comes (after which I will need another vacation, natch), I will be putting up with all the usual shit. I got to hear my first alcohol violation cases today (not that we haven't had them, but I am new so I wasn't cleared to hear them before this week), and we had a marijuana bust tonight. By the end of the week I will have chosen two new staff members (from a very weak pool), and I am organizing a mocktail party/winter formal for all the freshmen on campus with a budget of approximately zero dollars. Oh, and some kid put popcorn all over his roommate's shit - under his sheets, inside his pillow case, in his shoes - for no apparent reason. What the fuck is that?

To top it all off, our book club selection went from bad to worse. Instead of The Devil Wears Prada, we're going to be reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Which feels a bit like cheating on real books. Seriously, I feel a little ashamed.

I have a feeling the next alcohol violation will be mine.



P.S. Thanks to Phydeaux for the kick in the pants. Sometimes I need that.

4 comments:

Amy said...

the notebook? for real? do you work at a middle school? :)
I guess whatever keeps them reading, right?

Oh, and by the way...I don't know what your alcohol policies are...but I bet I'm violating them. right now.

I'm glad you're back!

Gender Blank said...

I think you're probably violating the world's alcohol policies right now. Just a guess. :)

splord said...

I would just like to state that I did not say that you had to post something; I merely expressed concern at your extended absence from Teh Bloggosphere.

On the other hand, it did 'light a fire' under your... keyboard..., so....

Also, if kids today are anything like we were back when I lived in a dorm, I so totally understand your lack of posting. We used to give our RA hell... mainly 'cause he was a stoner just like the rest of us, and yet he held a position of 'aw-thor-i-tie'.

Anonymous said...

Hillbilly Toothpick is going to be term used for penis sizegenetics that have been removed and utilized for toothpicks or decoration (mainly on baseball and cowboy hats). Typically there're the penis sizegenetics from raccoons. They aren't used much for toothpicks any longer, but this form of penis sizegenetics utilization can still be seen adorning people's hats.Sound crazy? Well, I guess that is dependent upon your point of view. What exactly are penis sizegenetics? That's a better question: Penis sizegenetics are known as the sizegenetics that are found in almost all mammals in order to them create an sizegenetics.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/